Zum Inhalt springen

Poll: German taxation and trading style

pippokeraki

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi all

new to the forum. I have started trading crypto at the beginning of December 2017, with a background of equity  trading. I understand that taxation would follow paragraph 23 of the EStG, with no tax due if the assets are sold after 365 days, otherwise they gains are taxed at one's marginal rate.  

So how does this affect your trading? Do you follow a buy and hodl strategy, or you try to ride volatility?

Also, any hints that taxation for crypto might be aligned to the same method used for shares (25% flat)?

Thanks!

Nevermind the capital letters in my text, This crap browser just tries to be smart and keeps autocorrecting some words and i cba to correct it.

First of all: I'm not a huge fan of regulations and literally hate this Country for ist strict investements restrictions. 

Anyway, i am doing a 2 way strategy. Holding some coins (prolly the majority) for one year, but also actively trade to increase the amount due using the volatility, although i'm fully aware of the tax annoyance.
Actually the punishment for tax fraud can be pretty insane, so it's not very advicable to even try to Outsmart them.

So how's the Chance that the tax rate gets back to the Level of Shares?
It's nearly zero.

Why? 
it's a cultural Thing.  For decades the german Society are mainly trained to do a traditional 9to5 Job.
Build something, be productiv. That might Sound like a stereotype, but actually it's true. Anything non productive (like financial investements) was never a big Topic here (unlike in neighboor countries like nehterlands, switzerland and Luxembourg).
Germany is the Country with the most Gold per Person and the least Shares per Person. I guess that explains the mentality pretty perfectly.

Why i'm saying all this? Because this explains why there will be no majority for decreasing regulations for cryptos. I'm even expecting that in some months/years this Country will even increase taxes on Investments. Seeing what they way too strong left minded Partys are saying.

Two friends i know from other Investments left the Country two years ago, i am really thinking of doing the same.
Redistribution of wealth can be a good Thing, but not when it's way too much.

Bearbeitet von bartio

Hi Bartio, 

many thanks for your detailed explanation! I think it makes sense to have a two-fold strategy, and this is what I am doing too. 

On the second topic, I can't really say much regarding the cultural factor, although I think that a 25% flat rate would increase tax revenues for the German state.. and at times like these, it could be useful.